Medical qualification : MBBS: 1985 (First rank), N H L Municipal medical college, Ahmedabad. M.S.(General Surgery): 1989 (Gold Medal), V S Hospital, Ahmedabad. M.Ch: (Neurosurgery) 1992 (First rank), Nair Hospital, Mumbai. Fellowship in Functional Neurosurgery, UK 30 years
Designation at JHRC : Director of Stereotactic & Functional Neurosurgery
Areas of expertise :
- Deep Brain Stimulation surgery
- Lesioning surgeries
- Stereotactic surgery
- Surgery for Movement disorders, including Parkinson’s disease
- Surgery for psychiatric disorders
- Surgery for chronic pain in spasticity
DBS surgery: https://dbssurgeryindia.com/
Prof. (Dr.) Paresh Doshi comes with a rich experience of over 30 years. He has several firsts to his credit, from the first deep brain stimulation (DBS) surgery in India, to operating the youngest and oldest Parkinson's disease patients in the world. He was the first neurosurgeon to perform surgery for Depression in Asian-Australian subcontinents. Jaslok hospital has the largest series of DBS procedures in South Asia. The functional neurosurgical unit has recently published the first series (in the world) of DBS in patients of Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP). Today, the functional neurosurgery department has performed more than 450 DBS procedures and the largest spectrum of functional neurosurgical procedures with excellent results.
The department of neurosurgery also runs the DNB Neurosurgery program, under him. This program trains one neurosurgeon every year. He also runs a fellowship program in functional neurosurgery, to train neurosurgeons from India and abroad.
• President of The Neuromodulation society of India
• Director, World society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery
• Director, Asian-Australian society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery
• Past President of the Indian Society for Stereotactic and Functional neurosurgery
Awards & Publications :
Young achiever’s Award- 2002, Indo-American Society, Mumbai
Medscape India Award 2012: Excellence in Neurosciences
Best Neurosurgical Deparmtment-2012 Modern Medicare magazine
FICCI Award: Medical Value Travel (Best case study) Runners up awarded for the best case study category for the Autism patient from USA that we had operated. 2019
Pharma Leaders Brand Award: “Indian of the Year in Neurosciences 2019
Times of India Award: Excellence in Neurosurgery in Mumbai, 2021
- Vengsarkar US, Panchal VG, Tripathi PD, Patkar SV, Agrawal AR, Doshi PK, Kamat MM: Percutaneous Thecoperitoneal shunt for syringomyelia. J Neurosurg 74: 827-831, 1991.
- Patkar SV, Agrawal AA, Doshi PK, Darda GH: Emergency surgery in orbital trauma: A neurosurgical overview. Ind J Opthal 40: No. 2: 48-52,1992.
- Doshi PK, Lemieux L, Fish D, Shorvon SD, Harkness W, Thomas DGT: Frameless Stereotaxy and interactive Neurosurgery with the ISG viewing wand. Acta Neurochirugica Suppl. 64: 49-53, 1995.
- Doshi PK, Thomas DGT, Kitchen ND: A Frameless Stereotactic Approach to Preoperative Neurosurgical Planning and Interactive Surgery. (abstract) Acta Neurochir (Wien) 129: 209-251.
- "Intralesional 131I- Labelled Monoclonal Antibody (Mab) therapy in Patients with Recurrent High Grade Gliomas." (Abstract) Journal Neurooncology 21: 63, 1994.
- "Acute Morbidity following catheter implantation for interstitial brachytherapy and antibody targeted radiotherapy for recurrent gliomas." (abstract) British J of Neurosurgery, 1995.
- "Thalamotomy for intractable tremor due to a basal ganglia infarction." Bhatt MH, Doshi PK, Elias M. (abstract) Mov Disord, Vol. 13, Suppl. 2; 305, 1998.
- "Subthalamic nucleus lesioning for advanced Parkinson's disease." Bhatt MH, Doshi PK. (abstract) Mov Disord, Vol. 15, Suppl. 3; 348, 2000.
- "Bilateral Subthalamic Nucleus Stimulation for Advanced Parkinson's Disease." Doshi PK, Bhatt MH. (abstract) Acta Neurochir, Suppl. 2000.
- “Head Pain – The Neurosurgical Aspects” – First National Symposium And Workshop on HEADACHE - Recent Advances, Mumbai, 25th - 26th November 2000.
- "Bilateral Subthalamic Nucleus Stimulation for Parkinson's Disease." Doshi PK, Chhaya NA, Bhatt MH. Jaslok Hospital & Research Center Bulletin: Vol. XXV No. 4, April 2001.
- "High frequency stimulation of subthalamic nucleus for advanced Parkinson's disease - study of twenty-three cases." – Reviews in Neurology, CME program of Indian Academy of Neurology, 2001.
- “Hemiballism during Subthalamic Nucleus Lesioning” Doshi PK, Bhatt MH. Mov Disord. 2002, Vol. 17, 848-849.
- “Depression leading to attempted suicide following bilateral subthalamic nucleus stimulation for Parkinson’s disease.” Doshi PK, Chhaya NA, Bhatt MH. Mov Disord. 2002, Vol. 17(5), 1084-1085.
- “Bilateral Subthalamic Nucleus Stimulation for Parkinson’s Disease”. Doshi PK, Bhatt MH. Acta Neurochir 2002, Vol. 144(10), 1070.
- “Surgery for Movement Disorders”. Doshi PK. Reviews in Neurology, CME programme of Indian Academy of Neurology 2002, 103 - 111.
- “Bilateral Subthalamic Nucleus Stimulation for Parkinson’s Disease” Doshi PK, Chhaya NA, Bhatt MH. Neurology India 2003, Vol. 51(1), 43-48.
- “ Hypersexuality or just punding ? Post deep Brain Stimulation (DBS). Doshi PK , A Aggarwal, N Chhaya , M Bhatt. Movement Disord.2006,Vol-21(Suppl 15), S677.
- “Chronic bilateral subthalamic nucleus (STN) deep brain stimulation (DBS) for advance Parkinson’s disease (PD) – a four year follow-up ”. Doshi PK , A Aggarwal, N Chhaya , M Bhatt .Movement Disord.2006,Vol-21(Suppl-15), S682.
- “Hypersexuality following subthalamic nucleus stimulation for Parkinson's disease ”. Doshi P, Bhargava P. Neurol India. 2008 Oct-Dec;56(4):474-6.
- “Neuromodulation for Epilepsy”. Pranshu Bhargava , Doshi PK. Journal Pediatric Neurosciences 2008 Jan –Jun ; Vol -3:111-116.
- “History of Stereotactic Surgery In India” Doshi PK, in Textbook of Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery, Lozano AM, Gildenberg P, Tasker R (eds). 2nd Ed. Berlin, Springer. P155-69.
- “Surgical Management of Parkinson’s diseases”. Doshi PK, Textbook of Neurosurgery, ed. R Rammamurthi.
- “Surgical Treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorders: Current Status”. Doshi PK , Indian Journal of Psychiatry 2009 Jul-Sep;51(3):216-221.
- “Radiofrequency Thermocoagualtion for Trigeminal Neuralgia” Doshi PK, Animesh Upadhayay, Journal of Indian Dental Association July 2009, Pg 9-14.
- “Desmoplastic non-infantile ganglioglioma “ : a low-grade tumor, report of two patients. Doshi PK, Khubchandani SR, Chitale AR, Neurol India. 2009 Nov-Dec; 57(6):796-799.
- “Long-term Surgical And Hardware–related Complications of Deep Brain Stimulation”. Doshi P K, Journal of Stereotactic & Functional Neurosurgery 2011;89-95.
- Anterior capsulotomy for refractory OCD: First case report as per the core group guidelines. Indian J of Psychiatry. 53(3), July-Sept. 2011.
- “Deep brain stimulation improves quality of life in pantothenate kinase-associated neurodegeneration : Case Report ”.Kiran Sathe , Anaita Hegde , Doshi P K. Journal of Pediatric Neurosciences 2013, Iss -1 ; Vol -8:pg46-48.
- “Consensus on guidelines for stereotactic neurosurgery for psychiatric disorders.Nuttin B,Wu H, mayberg H, Paresh Doshi ,et al. Journal Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2014;0:pg1-6.
- “Bilateral Pedunculopontine Nucleus Stimulation for Progressive Supranuclear Palsy”- Doshi PK, Desai JD, Karkera B, et al. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 2015;93:59–65
- “Mania Induced by Stimulation following DBS of the Bed Nucleus of Stria Terminalis for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder” Doshi Paresh K, Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 2016;94:326
- “Stereotactic Thalamotomy for Task-Specific Dystonia” Doshi Paresh K, Movement disorders in clinical practice, DOI:10.1002/mdc3.12398
- “Surgical treatment for Parkinson’s disease and Epilepsy” Textbook of APICON 2017.
- Surgical Interventions for Task‑specific Dystonia (Writer’s Dystonia). Doshi PK, Ramdasi RV, Karkera B, Kadlas D. Ann Indian Acad Neurol 2017;20:324-7
- Neurosurgery for psychiatric disorders. Neurology India, 2017:65; 4, 777-778
- Expanding Indications for deep brain stimulation. Doshi PK. Neurology India, 2018; 66:S102-12
- Deep brain stimulation of anteromedial globus pallidus internus for severe Tourette syndrome. Doshi PK. Indian J of Psychiatry. 60(1), Jan-March. 2018.
- Tumefactive Demyelination versus tumor; a diagnostic dilemma: Role of Electron Microscopy. Ramdasi R, Thorve S, Doshi PK. Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology. Dec. 2018 61 (4) :38-40
- Globus Pallidus Internal Deep Brain Stimulation in a patient with Neuroacanthocytosis and Drug Induced Parkinsonism- 5 years follow-up. Doshi PK, Chamankar N. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg. 2018;96(4):276
- Indian guidelines on neurosurgical interventions in psychiatric disorders. Doshi PK, Arumugham SS, Bhide A, et al. Indian J Psychiatry. 2019 Jan-Feb;61(1):13-21
- Nucleus Accumbens (NAc) DBS for obsessive compulsive disorder and aggression in an autistic patient: a case report and hypothesis of the role of NAc in autism and co-morbid symptoms. Doshi PK, Hegde A, Desai A. World Neurosurg. 2019 Feb 21. pii: S1878-8750(19)30431-0
- A comparative study of bilateral subthalamic nucleus DBS in Parkinson's disease in young versus old: A single institutional study. Vats A, Amit A, Doshi P. J Clin Neurosci. 2019;70:85-91. doi:10.1016/j.jocn.2019.08.065
- Multicentric high grade oligodendroglioma: a rare entity. Vats A, Amit A, Doshi P. Br J Neurosurg. 2019;33(6):678-680. doi:10.1080/02688697.2017.1396582
- Surgical interventions for neuropsychiatric disorders. In IPS textbook of undergraduate psychiatry. IPS TEXTBOOK OF UNDERGRADUATE PSYCHIATRY. Ed. Singh PK. Edition 1, Jaypee Brothers, India, 2019.
- Invited Faculty Abstracts from the International Neuromodulation Society's 14th World Congress. Doshi, P. (2019). Neuromodulation: Technology at the Neural Interface, 22(7), e296-e584.
- “An International Survey of Deep Brain Stimulation Utilization in Asia and Oceania: The DBS Think Tank East.” Zhang C, Ramirez-Zamora A, Meng F, Lin Z, Lai Y, Li D, Chang J, Morishita T, Inoue T, Fujioka S, Oyama G, Coyne T, Voon V, Doshi PK, Wu Y, Liu J, Patel B, Almeida L, Wagle Shukla AA, Hu W, Foote K, Zhang J, Sun B, Okun MS. Front Hum Neurosci. 2020 Jul 6;14:162. doi: 10.3389/fnhum.2020.00162. PMID: 32733215; PMCID: PMC7357800.
- Deep Brain Stimulation for Parkinson's Disease: Currents Status and Emerging Concepts. Doshi P. Neurology India November-December 2020 Volume 68(Issue 8 (Supplement)):Page Nos. 161-339
- “Deep brain stimulation for refractory obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD): emerging or established therapy?” Wu. H, ………Doshi P. …………Nuttin, B:. Mol Psychiatry (2020). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41380-020-00933-x
- “International legal approaches to neurosurgery for psychiatric disorders.”Chandler JA, Cabrera LY, Doshi P, Fecteau S, Fins JJ, Guinjoan S, Hamani C, Herrera-Ferrá K, Honey CM, Illes J, Kopell BH, Lipsman N, McDonald PJ, Mayberg HS, Nadler R, Nuttin B, Oliveira-Maia AJ, Rangel C, Ribeiro R, Salles A, Wu H: Frontiers in human neuroscience 2021; 14
- “Surgical and Hardware Complications of Deep Brain Stimulation—A Single Surgeon Experience of 519 Cases Over 20 Years.” Doshi P.K., Rai N., Das D. 2021. Neuromodulation 2021; E-pub ahead of print. DOI:10.1111/ner.13360
- “Practice Trends of Neuromodulation Therapies for Pain and Spasticity in India.” Doshi PK. Radiofrequency Lesioning for Movement and Psychiatric Disorders-Experience of 107 Cases. Front Hum Neurosci. 2021 Jun 14;15:673848. doi: 10.3389/fnhum.2021.673848. PMID: 34194307; PMCID: PMC8236715.
- Indian guidelines on neurosurgical interventions in psychiatric disorders. Doshi PK, Arumugham SS, Bhide A, Vaishya S, Desai A, Singh OP, Math SB, Gautam S, Satyanarayana Rao TS, Mohandas E, Srinivas D, Avasthi A, Grover S, Reddy YCJ. Indian J Psychiatry. 2019 Jan-Feb;61(1):13-21
- Radiofrequency Lesioning for Movement and Psychiatric Disorders-Experience of 107 Cases. Doshi PK. Front Hum Neurosci. 2021 Jun 14;15:673848.
- President, The Neuromodulation society
- Vice Secretary, World Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery
- Board member, International Neuromodulation Society
- Board member, Asian Australasian Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery
- PP, Indian Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery
- Member of World Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery
- Member of Neurological Society of India
- Member of TNS, ISSFN, MDSI, IAN societies of India.